Potato & Pumpkin Gnocchi

Today I felt like preparing some gnocchi! I’ve got a pumpkin which was asking to be used, so I added a bit of it in the dough …

(serves 4-6 )

– 1 kg of potatoes and pumpkin (I did 700gr of potatoes and 300gr of pumpkin)

–  flour. I always try to put a little, to let the gnocchi be lighter and softer, but still you need a bit, otherwise it becomes “a mega mush”. Here it was more or less 200-250 grams

– salt

Very simple. Boil the potatoes and pumpkin in a pressure cooker with their skin. Once cooked, reduce them to a puree, allow for them to cool briefly and add the flour. Then make many “snakes”, cut them and, if you want, pass them over the tool which “scratches” gnocchi.

Ready! Here there are, seasoned only with olive oil and fresh sage.

Chef: Pupazza from VeganBlog

1. Pizza pie 6 August 2010 at 13:55
    Pizza pie

Nice and good dish! Slurp! ;-)

2. EleonoraNW3 6 August 2010 at 14:03
    EleonoraNW3

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!! I like kneading or put my hands in a dough, whatever it is :-)

3. Mimì 6 August 2010 at 14:40

Are spectacular :)

4. Nello 9 August 2010 at 06:45
    Nello

Very interesting :-P

I love the gnocco!!! ;-)

…with all my soul :mrgreen:

5. TokyoVegan 12 September 2010 at 10:26
    TokyoVegan

Hi, I made these today with 100% pumpkin (no potatoes) but needed to use 50/50 wheat flour (they were still tasty, but probably a little heavier/harder than I think they were intended to be.
    I’m just wondering whether you use any special kind of flour, i.e. durum semolina, since it is pasta?
    William

6. EleonoraNW3 12 September 2010 at 10:38
    EleonoraNW3

Hi William, I’m afraid that gnocchi are REALLY meant to be made with potatoes!
    The potatoes contain the starch which the dough needs to be light and elastic. Having said that, I think that every kind of flour should be fine – if you want to stay on the safe side you can use durum wheat, but just a little: the more flour you use, the less light the gnocchi will be.
    Also, potatoes should be firm and quite dry: when I make gnocchi I prefer to cook potatoes in the microwave rather than boiling them; or you can also steam them, actually. The idea anyway is that they sould be as dry as possible, in order to absorb as less flour as possible.
    I hope this helps! Have another try and let us know :-)