Nut Pate & Kale Salad

Hi, this is my first recipe

for the pate
2 cups almonds (or other nuts if preferred) – soaked overnight
1 bunch parsley roughly chopped
3 medium sized carrots peeled and chopped
Juice of a lemon
1/4 of a red onion – chopped
1tsp sea salt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
for the salad
6-8 large ‘branches of curly kale – remove the leafy bits from the stalks and chop into pieces about the size of a 10p piece
1tsp sea salt
1 ripe avocado – chopped into small pieces
10 cherry tomatoes – quartered
Handful of mung bean sprouts
6 sun dried tomatoes in oil – chopped into small pieces
10-12 Pitted black olives – halved

In a strong blender or food processor start with the nuts and process until well broken up then add all other ingredients and process until a smooth pate is achieved.
In a bowl place the kale and sprinkle over the salt – mix then drizzle on the olive oil.  Massage the leaves until shiny and then add the avocado.  Continue to massage until the leaves are coated.  Add all other ingredients and mix well.
To serve – use a small ring to create a round of pate in the centre of a plate and surround the pate with the salad.  For a garnish I make a ‘flaming cherry tomato’ by putting the tomato in boiling water for a few minutes then gently using a sharp knife cut the skin in a cross working from the under side of the tom.  Gently peel back the skin and fashion it into a flame – see picture!
This dish has huge nutritional value and the kale is made in a way that makes it attractive to even those who would normally turn their noses up at this hardy winter veg.  Enjoy!

1. EleonoraNW3 15 November 2010 at 21:15
    EleonoraNW3

Hi Veggiebarnet,
    a very warm welcome aboard! Your salad is delicious, I very much like raw food…I would say that I am 90% raw-foodist!
    We look forward to reading your recipes 🙂

2. Pizza pie 15 November 2010 at 21:54
    Pizza pie

Hi Richard and Sandra! Welcome! I love creams and pates… and all you can put on bread… 😛
    Raw food is so good and so funny! 😉

3. Ascanio 15 November 2010 at 22:07

Welcome Richard & Sandra! Welcome really! We expect a lot from you 😉 as you are in business, I am sure you have very well tested recipes and even some secret ones 😀 Looking forward to increase your testing panel and to share ultimate tricks and tips.

4. Lisa 16 November 2010 at 08:12

Hi Richard! You’re really welcome in this family! 🙂

5. Nadir 16 November 2010 at 09:21
    Nadir

Hi, Richard & Sandra. This plate is very interesting, i like it… and your business is more interesting too. Welcome 🙂

6. Loira 16 November 2010 at 15:10

Hi Veggiebarnett and welcome! Your raw recipe is beautiful! I’m waiting for other recipes! 🙂

7. Mirko 16 November 2010 at 21:50

Wow gorgeous. I would like to prepare it to my boyfriend! he loves pate and similar! Welcome!

8. Cassandra78 16 November 2010 at 22:24

Hi Richard! Hi Sandra! Your patè looks so good! Well done you, I like raw food 🙂

9. Chicca66 17 November 2010 at 21:19
    Chicca66

Very very good this recipe :-)Welcome!

10. Anto 18 November 2010 at 16:20

Hi Veggiebarnett!! welcome to VeganWiz!!!
    Well, I can’t find the words to say how much I love this recipe!!! I’m sure I’ll prepare it very soon ‘cos it must be so good!
    Besides, I would like to spend some words regarding your activity: I just visited the Veggiebarn site and, wow!, your guest house is fantastic! I’m so happy to see there are accomodations suitable for vegans, like yours, around the world! I’m Italian and I was in London a couple of times, but I’m wishing to be able in visiting England again soon, that side of England I’d really love to visit, the New Forest, of course… If I’ll ever do I’ll be happy to stay in your guest house indeed!
    Thank you Veggiebarnett! 😉

11. Veggiebarnett 18 November 2010 at 17:47

Thank you all for your kind comments – I’m working on the next recipe – beetroot ravioli with brazil nut boursin filling – watch this space!

12. EleonoraNW3 18 November 2010 at 17:48
    EleonoraNW3

YEP!!! We all stay tuned 🙂

13. Dinetonite 22 November 2010 at 17:48

I enjoyed your blog very much. The information was interest to me. Thanks for sharing the recipe

14. Maverick 1 July 2011 at 19:54

Fell out of bed feeling down. This has brihgented my day!