Soy Ricotta Cheese

Surely many of you already know it, but writing this recipe and putting it on the section Vegan Cheeses can still be of help to some of you 🙂

(serves 1)
200 ml of soy milk unflavoured
1 tablespoon of cider vinegar

Boil the milk; when it reaches the maximum boiling point (when it tends to foam up) add the tablespoon of vinegar, turn the heat off and stir. Should coagulate immediately, the flakes will come up and the clear yellow whey remains to the bottom. If, conversely, you see that flakes are forming, but the whey is still milk, bring it to a boil again and add a few drops more of vinegar. Gather all the coagulated part and put it in a colander, give it a quick rinse under water to remove the taste of vinegar. Let it drain, you can also push it a little against the mesh of the sieve, in order to remove the excess  of water. Remove ricotta from the colander and put it on a plate. Here it is, the ricotta cheese is ready!
With these doses, you get about 60 gr of ricotta cheese :-).

Chef: Concita from VeganBlog

1. EleonoraNW3 28 December 2010 at 18:41
    EleonoraNW3

This is really interesting…ricotta cheese is pretty similar to cottage cheese, but less salty and tasty and it’s great for some dishes. For instance, is great in ravioli and in cakes and tarts!. Thanks to Concita we now have the vegan version, absolutely easy 🙂

2. Cassandra78 29 December 2010 at 15:03

Interesting! Eleonora NW3’s right, ricotta cheese can be used a lot of ways, this recipe is most useful

3. Titti 30 December 2010 at 15:50

I love Concita’s ricotta vegan cheese. I’m ricotta addict!! 😉

4. Mimi 31 December 2010 at 16:23

The Soy Ricotta has become an important ingredient in my kitchen, is so versatile I use it a lot in many recipes. Thanks Conci

5. E 14 September 2011 at 02:31

Hi!
    I tried to make this twice last night and both times didn’t work. Do you have any hints or tricks with timing or maybe it needs to be boiled at a lower temp?

6. EleonoraNW3 14 September 2011 at 05:50
    EleonoraNW3

Hi E! I think it all depends on the type of milk you use, i.e. I think you should use one with a relatively “high” content in fat. ANd, also, I would try boiling at a lower temperature, as you suggested, but the most important component is the milk you use, it doesn’t work with all brands apparently.
    Hope this helps, let us know!

7. YSol 19 August 2012 at 14:25

What brand did you use. I suppose this wouldn’t work with some nut milks? If some celtic salt was added to start would that change the formula and it won’t separate?

Also I am looking for a somewhat hard forming cheese that doesn’t require nutritional yeast and maybe no soy. The other day I made a very nice cashew cheese but it was more of a spread. I know NY is best for that cheesy flavor but I just don’t like it. Vegans get so offended when I mention this, sorry :(. But please tell me is there another way to do this? If no, then out of curiosity please please explain why the nutritional yeast other than for flavor? I couldn’t find my answer on google. I am looking forward to trying the ricotta recipe, seems so simple. Thank you. 🙂

8. Cassondra 6 December 2012 at 21:25

Awesome. Will this work with almond milk?

9. gtrabbit 11 December 2012 at 05:43

This sounds like an interesting recipe, but I hate to waste things–

According to the description, it’s mostly whey that’ll be left; could that be added into a bread dough, or a soup broth or the like? Any suggestions anyone?

10. Tessie Buttigieg 2 April 2013 at 12:03

I just tried the ricotta with soy milk and it works perfect,now I am going to make homemade ravioli for my grandson as he love them and will not make him sick…

11. Sofie 19 June 2013 at 19:49

I made a couple batches with almond milk. I think it works alright, but it makes less than 20g of ricotta. Not enough protein or fat? It would probably work great with less watery, homemade almond milk.

12. David 11 January 2014 at 22:46

I made a different recipe and it came out more like cream cheese but delicious. Looking at this I was questioning the amount of soy milk.
    200ml? should that not be 2000ml? Anyway I am also wondering about the texture. I used 700ml and 1 tbl lemon juice.