Mediterranean Cornbread

I got this recipe from my friend Jim who lives in Maine. I have tried it and got delighted! The original recipe is vegetarian, I veganized it with a Mediterranean touch.

1 cup corn meal

1 cup flour (whole wheat)

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

garbanzo’s flour (2 tablespoons)

4 tablespoons olive oil (or other you prefer)

1 cup soymilk

hot green chilli (optional)

Mix garbanzo’s flour with some water to cream consistence. Mix separately wet and dry ingredients.

Then combine quickly in a warm well greased fry pan (I used olive oil), cook over low heat on stovetop for about 30 minutes. (Jim suggested me to cover the pan with another filled with boiling water, which gives heat both top & bottom.)

You can also cook it in the oven, heat 400° (Europe: 180°), bake 25 minutes.

You can mix chopped hot green chilli with wet ingredients to taste.

It is good company for hot juicy dishes, such as potato-kale-garbanzo soup, posted right away.

1. Chicca66 4 April 2010 at 14:02

I really like the rustic sweet 🙂

2. Mariagrazia 4 April 2010 at 21:48

Chicca, this is not a sweet dish, even though it contains some sugar! It is a sort of torta pasqualina (easter cake) without cheese and eggs! In my opinion, it is also tastier and softer!
    Try it!
    😉

3. Mariagrazia 4 April 2010 at 22:05

And happy Easter everybody!
    😉

4. Stefano 9 April 2010 at 07:26

I dream poets like Jim Koller but also philosophers, writers, artists, teachers, non aligned scientists and just normal people in favour of the animals rights…
    Good food for a happy planet!

5. Mariagrazia 9 April 2010 at 22:36

Jim is now travelling and will be out of reach until June, when he will pay us a visit… This will be for him a huge surprise!

Yes, we hope the human world will change its eating habits for better in a short time! In order to preserve our planet from climate disasters and hunger…

But nobody asked why this Cornbread should be mediterranean…

😉

6. francesco 10 April 2010 at 19:21

The simple right food for my stomach and my questing soul! Far from the madding junk food — while I am reading your recipes and seeing your pictures, I feel I am visiting another country – a country where food is food and not fake food, where people are peole and not masks of masks. Mariagrazia, many thanks!
    frank silverdale

7. Mariagrazia 12 April 2010 at 22:18

@ Frank
    Yes, you are right, I feel like travelling far away when I’m cooking! I get to ecozoic happiness!
    You can join me, choose a veg recipe and start your journey!
    😉

8. Mimi 17 December 2010 at 08:49

This corn bread is really delicious and I also like very much, indeed almost like consistency remember my pie pistachios 😛

9. Mariagrazia 19 December 2010 at 22:23

Dear Mimi, try it! I will also try your pistachio pie!
    I know you don’t like using sugar and salt, you can maybe try it replacing salt with umeboshi and sugar with malt or agave syrup.
    If you want to avoid gluten, you can replace whole wheat flour with cooking buckwheat!
    I know you like a savoury but very healthy cooking!
    😉

10. mimi 20 December 2010 at 19:31

Thanks for the advice, I will take it … Maybe tomorrow I’m going to prepare something .. I always want to do many things, but then I never do anything 🙂 🙁

11. Mariagrazia 22 December 2010 at 22:27

We all have the same problem! Anyway, let me know if you make it!
    😉