A Tiny Stuffed Mushroom

…raw of course!
I was wandering among the vegetable section at the super, almost panicking as I was really late, and after having grabbed a number of vegetables, my eye fell on this lovely mushroom, whose diameter was about 12cm.
Now my gray cells gave me a preview of the mushroom filled with all sort of raw things. It was supposed to be organic, I believed them and I’ve bought it. The filling is basically a sort of a centrifugate of what I had in the fridge, but the result was good πŸ™‚

a monstrously huge mushroom (seriously, I think it was a portobello)
a bunch of red endive
a handful of dried mushrooms, soaked in water for 15 min
2 mushrooms
2 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in water with dried mushrooms for 15 min
1 thin slice of onion
1/2 clove of garlic
1/2stalk of broccoli (but could have been avoided, it was a leftover in the fridge)
three radishes
mixed nuts and seeds crushed
extra virgin olive oil
spices (I used harissa powder, thyme, oregano)
umeboshi vinegar
basil for garnish
…but, really, you can stuff it with whatever you want or have in your fridge/larder, as long as its raw, if you want a raw dish

You put everything (except for half of the nuts … and of course the portobello to be filled) in a blender and blend. Add salt, if you want (I didn’t) and umeboshi vinegar; stuff the mushroom. Sprinkle with the remaining half of chopped nuts and, should you wish, some spices. Add a sprig of basil and … that’s it! For the record … I put half of the mushroom in the bento box for tomorrow :-).

I often use umeboshi vinegar, as it has a quite peculiar taste: as I perceive it, is something like lemon+salt. This allow me to avoid using salt at all. Beside that, those little plums have a huge healthy qualities, first of all they help digestion.

1. ascanio 12 October 2010 at 16:13

That’s cool…my girl likes raw food, she would love this for sure. And maybe I would as well!

2. Pizza pie 13 October 2010 at 10:31

Portobello Mon Amour! I found it once, but never again, I hope I will find it again at the market, it’s a so nice mushroom! πŸ™‚

3. EleonoraNW3 13 October 2010 at 13:26

Thank you! it was pretty good actually πŸ™‚ and really handful as I had a lot of veg in the fridge to use up πŸ™‚

4. Lisa 13 October 2010 at 13:58

Really good! πŸ˜‰

5. Cassandra78 15 October 2010 at 14:37

That mushroom is gigantic! or your hand’s small πŸ˜›
    Anyway…this sounds delicious

6. Lawrence 18 October 2010 at 20:05

I really love mushrooms I would like to try to do that ! πŸ˜‰

7. isabella 28 February 2011 at 00:34

that sounds lovely! I love mushrooms but I didn’t know portobello was good to be eaten raw!
    my only question is umeboshi vinegar? I am not too sure where and if I can find . Thanks much!!

8. EleonoraNW3 28 February 2011 at 06:31

Hi Isabella, here in UK is quite easy to find. Where do you live?

9. isabella 28 February 2011 at 06:59

Hi Eleonora,
    I live in mexico(but I am Italian too πŸ˜‰
    I have never heard of it and I have no idea on how to translate it in spanish to look for it. if you could tell me what kind of vinegar it is I can try…
    many things I am reading I ‘ve never heard of them before…
    I will have more questions for you all :))
    I am so excited about row food, now! I just missed a seminar on that! my bad! but next one I will go and will bring more recipes!!
    thanks a lot for advising!

10. EleonoraNW3 1 March 2011 at 08:08

Hi Isabella,
    umeboshi vinegar comes from umeboshi plums, click here to have a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeboshi

The one I buy is from Clearpsing, but I doubt you find it in Mexico. It’s sort of magenta-red coloured.

Anyway… don’t get crazy trying to find it, it’s slightly gentle than common vinegars and has many good properties, but for this recipe you might as well use white vinegar!

11. isabella 1 March 2011 at 14:25

oh! ok thanks a lot!! I’ll try!!!:)

12. EleonoraNW3 1 March 2011 at 14:44

You’re welcome! and let me know how they came out πŸ™‚

13. EleonoraNW3 1 March 2011 at 15:03

Hi Isabella, I was thinking… would you like to join us as a chef?
    If interested, please contact us through the button “Join Us!” at the top of the page. Bye!

14. isabella 2 March 2011 at 03:00

oh thanks, but I am not ready yet, I am still doing some tests.. today I tried the spinach potion .. but it came out a half way between the same and your filling of the mushroom!:))) not bad, but a bit indigest!:))That’s because I like to try and put loads of stuff in without a rule… as soon as I come up with something decent I will certainly ask to join you.:))
    at the moment I just ‘spy’ and experiment your receipes.
    thanks a lot, though!;)