Almond Milk Custard

This custard is a very good substitute of the usual custard for tarts, cakes, tiramisu, desserts and more sweet treats. Since I never find almond milk I decided to prepare it myself with a very easy process and without the specific appliance; in the same way, we can preepare pistachio milk, coconut milk, pine nuts milk, and with the same recipe all the relevant custard. Interesting, isn’t it?

for the almond milk
750 ml of water
150 gr of blanched almonds
for the custard:
almond milk
200 gr of rice malt
50 gr of fructose
70 gr of flour (sifted)
1 vanilla pod
grated rind of ½ organic lemon

For the almond milk:
I coarsely chopped the almonds and then I reduced them to a sort of flour, with the help of a coffee grinder. I started putting half the water in a blender and half the almonds, I processed it for a few seconds, then I added water and almonds, and processed again …and so on for both the ingredients. The milk is now ready and we can proceed with the custard.
For the custard:
I poured about 600ml of this milk in a small saucepan, together with malt, fructose, 1 vanilla pod; I brought everything to a boil, then turned the fire off and removed the vanilla pod (you can wash and dry it for reuse). In another pan, I dry mixed the flour with the remaining milk, I mixed well to remove any lumps, added the grated zest of the lemon and then I poured the mixture in the first saucepan. I switched the fire on again and I let it simmer on a moderate heat, stirring constantly for 5/10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool.

Chef: Stella10 from VeganBlog

1. EleonoraNW3 13 October 2010 at 14:22

Interesting! If you have a pretty good food processor, I don’t think you need to grind the nuts (whichever they are) eith a grinder – I just let them soak in some water (for a hour, say) and then I pour the water and the nuts (almonds in this case) i the blender. It generally comes out really well, my boyfriend also likes to strain it, but I don’t think it’s necessary to be honest.

2. Cassandra78 13 October 2010 at 14:26

this is cool! I cant’ wait to try, let’s say, pinenuts milk 🙂 must be delicious

3. ascanio 13 October 2010 at 19:57

Yes, I agree with EleonoraNW3, I do almond milk just putting almonds and water together in the food processor and then blend them – comes out really well, I don’t even soak the almonds. I am intrigued too about the pistachio milk, would it come out greenn-ish 🙂 ?

4. EleonoraNW3 14 October 2010 at 09:58

That’s interesting Ascanio, maybe from now on I won’t soak the nuts

5. ronald 31 March 2011 at 02:15

You should soak the almonds, then peel off the skins. Yuo might have to quickly blanch them to do so… Then put in the blender. I like to add cardamom, honey and a dash of sea salt. I also like to add a banana and a little cinnamon sometimes. Soaking makes the nutrients more absorbable by the body and does something with enzyme inhibitors or something – that would take further research.

6. EleonoraNW3 31 March 2011 at 06:53

Hi Ronald, thanks for your comment! It’s very interesting, but may I pls remind you that this is a vegan food blog and honey is not allowed :-). Otherwise your versione sounds great!